Monday, April 19, 2010

Name : Ingredients


I recently found myself walking through Costco with a cart full of items that have one name and the same ingredient i.e. eggs-eggs, or asparagus-asparagus, 1:1. You get the idea and it seems regular, but what I noticed is many people did not have the same simplicity in their own carts. My favorite cart had a Costco sized bag of cool ranch Doritos on top of package of hot dog buns, on top of a package of ground turkey. So...solid base for them 1:1- name to ingredient after that 1:14-ish, 1:27ish, not so good-ish. So the point being the less processing and the less complications that goes into the food that you put into your body the better. Check out the book "Food Rules" by Michael Pollan. It is about 5 bucks on Amazon, more of a pamphlet than a book but it has some good points like, "Don't eat breakfast cereals that change the color of the milk" (not illustrated in the above picture). Check it out, let me know what you think.

7 comments:

  1. Jesse, Garbage in Garbage out! right. seems simple. (Rae)

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Don’t eat anything with more than five ingredients, or ingredients you can't pronounce.” That’s Michael Pollan’s second food rule, I think that it is his best one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. not to say I don't enjoy a nice bowl of frosted mini-wheats every now and again. just 5 ingredients Luis :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually it’s only four: WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT, SUGAR HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, GELATIN. That’s excluding the added vitamins and minerals, so that means that they are okay to eat. And yes, I eat them to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang Luis,
    Check you out... I guess I need to start reading labels.

    ReplyDelete